Podcasts are big business in 2018 and you – the most charming, knowledgable, dulcet-toned man on earth – want a slice of the action. That's where Esquire Townhouse with Breitlingim电竞官网- comes in.
We gathered a selection of the country’s top pod talent to this year's event to tell you everything you need to know about making the most of your show. Podcast Master author Ben Green talked to The Football Ramble’s Luke Moore - who is also behind the Radio Stakhanov network of podcasts (Berkhamsted Revisited, The Luke and Pete Show, On The Continent) - Dorian Lynskey of the Brexit podcast Remainiacs and Dot Dot Dot CEO Joel Porter.
im电竞官网-They talked about a range of fascinating topics, and we managed to draw 10 must-follow rules from the panel:
1. im电竞官网-Nowadays, amidst all the noise, you need a genuinely unique idea to succeed as a podcaster. A real passion project.
2. im电竞官网-The biggest challenge used to be explaining what a podcast actually was. Now it's getting people to find yours amongst the millions of others. Look at your options and make make the most of them.
3. im电竞官网-The barriers for beginners aren't as big as you imagine. Get a couple of decent microphones for around £70 each from Amazon and plug them into your laptop. Hit record! And try not to move your furniture about.
4. Take the time to understand and sort out your audio. Bad audio is so off-putting. YouTube is a great place to learn about professional-standard production for free. It's all there.
5. Try interviewing someone in their own home. They'll feel more comfortable in that environment, and might share more.
6. You shouldn't treat your podcasts as a stepping stone to having your own radio show. It's a different discipline and often takes a certain skillset.
7. Radio has no safety net, anyway. Spending a lot of time editing your own bad jokes out of a podcast might be annoying, but it's better than the alternative.
8. Show your podcast to a friend you trust. Another pair of ears is always useful.
9. Beyond advertisers, Patreon is a great way to make money off a podcast once you have the audience. Fans contribute a monthly donation of their choosing, and you can reward them with extra content.
10. Podcasts are popular because they're a personal experience. Once you've got your headphones on it feels like the host is talking directly to you. Keep your relationship with your listener in mind.